1.08.2007

:: the way we say goodbye ::

We don't; not really. Everyone dances around it, talking about everything but: leaving.

We even let Ellise (she's two) say, "See you tomorrow" when she hugs them goodnight. No one bothers explaining. She won't understand anyway. She'd just cry -- it's past her bedtime.

And me. I sit on the couch and watch CSI. I can't say goodbye till they unwrap this crime. Then I write, first in a letter that I always hide for my parents when they leave, or I leave, or some combination of both. And I write here:

Thank you for letting me get this out. Goodbye, Mom and Dad. See you in a year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said "goodbye" this morning. I left. For six months. "Goodbye" and "I love you."

9:14 PM  
Blogger Laura McLain said...

I will say goodbye to some of the most incredible people in four and a half months. And I will say hello again to my family. Not easy at all.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home